Friday, March 16, 2012

Bike vs. Commute Update: March Hasn't Been Good So Far

One of my established goals for 2012 is to spend more time riding my bike than I do commuting to and from work in my car.

My general plan for success includes running at a deficit of about 7 hours per month for the first 8 months of the year, and then in September my office is moving to a new location that will reduce my commuting time by (hopefully) about 50 minutes per day. The reduced commuting time combined with keeping the bike riding time the same appears to swing the deficit the other way for the rest of the year, and it's likely this will result in success (defined as more time riding my bike than commuting in my car for the year).

But I'm already 21 hours short on the bike riding with two weeks left in March.

The only solution I can think of now is to take a couple days off from work. But that's not likely.

I'll continue to track this data and trust that perhaps April will be surprising and this trend will reverse and stabilize.

I think that as the office move gets closer, I'll be attending site visits, which would count as work, and going home from those site visits would thus be a shorter than normal commute home on those days. That will help.

A final nugget of hope is that there's a commuter parking lot about 13 miles from my home and about 6.7 miles from where the office will likely be moving to. I'm mildly confident that I can park the car there and ride my bike the rest of the way a couple days a week. That plan would make those days bike time heavy, by a lot, and help close the gap swiftly.

It's wrong that I think so much about how I can ride my bike more. I ought to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger