Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tank 322 - 21 June 2K12 (Plus a Weather Alert. And a Small Rant.)

So I put more gas in the Mighty Corolla this morning at the Fas Mart near my home. It was 77 degrees and 5:55 a.m.

I had driven the car 419.5 miles and put in 10.931 gallons of gas, making for a fuel economy of 38.38 miles per gallon for this tank.

Gas was $3.169 per gallon. Fredericksburg is an interesting place, because gas is generally ten cents per gallon cheaper than most other places in Virginia, it seems. And by "most other places," I mean the Woodbridge area, which is the only other place where I see gas prices on a regular basis. Here near the office where I work, the "cheap gas at Costco" is $3.269/gallon today.

Meanwhile, people are going nuts that it's summertime and it's going to be hot outside today. I think it'd be a bigger news story if it was summertime and snow was in the forecast, but that's just me.

But we've all been lucky so far this year. There have been no sightings (and by "no sightings," I mean I personally have not seen any of this reported) of and global warming reports as a source of this heat wave. The weathermen are just saying it's a summertime heat wave. And I like that.

Not that I am a global warming unbeliever. Indeed, I am pretty sure that 7 billion people on a planet can't NOT have an impact on things. I do think that I don't like how it's portrayed in the media as two extreme positions: one where the ice caps are irreversibly going to melt and people in Boulder will find themselves with oceanfront property in five years, and the other where we need to drill for more oil and burn more gas in our V8-powered SUVs as we go one mile to the convenience store and expect nothing bad will happen.

I am all for being frugal with whatever resources you have.

I am all for spending as little on gasoline as I can, by buying it at a cheap gas station and also by driving like a Granny to get as good fuel economy as I can.

I am for ceiling fans.

I am against drag racing from one stoplight to the next during rush hour traffic.

I am against driving 40 miles an hour down a residential street. If you're running that late, leave your house a little earlier. There's people- your neighbors!- walking down this street you're speeding on.

I am confused by people who think that large cars that get crappy mileage are safer. It seems to me that they get into wrecks and crashes, too. Not only do large cars cost more, they use more gas and are generally more expensive to run and maintain. And they get stuck in traffic just as well as smaller, more fuel-efficient cars, so I don't understand why people would choose to spend more money just to experience the same sort of traffic woes as those of us in smaller cars. "Yay! Spend more money to sit in traffic, too!"

I'm starting to look forward to going home on Tuesday July 3. I think I'll ride my bike home again and whizz past all those solo drivers in their giant metal boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger