Monday, December 8, 2008

I am Sorry, but...

I have just about had my fill of Oprah Winfrey.

First, she was a happy story of a woman who pulled herself up by her own
bootstraps and became a success. Then she became an even bigger success
and her show developed an enormous following.

People say her book club has helped improve the education and literacy
of lots of people as well.

But recently I have been observing that it's either her way or no way.
Like she's secretly proclaimed herself to be better than everyone else
and that the whole world should just fall down and cheer her every move
and comment. I am sorry, but I do not see her as the Queen of the
World.

I think it's great that Obama was elected President and all, but the day
after the election, she comes out with a big victory party on her TV
show? That was a bit over the top. Her enthusiasm over the election of
Obama made me feel like she has no respect for the current President.
This might be wrong, but I don't remember her having a post-election
breakdown at any other time in the past.

And today she's apparently having a "Mary Tyler Moore Reunion" on her
show, and the promo is a great shot of her leading a group hug. I don't
know what other members of the Mary Tyler Moore show will be there,
because it was a tearful Oprah in the middle of the shot. If I remember
correctly, Oprah was not part of that show, so I don't see why she ought
to be the center of a reunion hug like that.

And what's with her picture on each and every cover of her "O" magazine?


I am on Oprah Overload.

Please, I am sure there are doctors, chefs, and psychotherapists out
there that are just as good, if not better, as those people she trots
out on her show, but people are falling over themselves to hear the
thoughts from these people who Oprah has declared the best for us.

Yes, Oprah Winfrey has a wildly successful show. No, she should not use
that platform to push all her thoughts and ideas upon us. And no, she
should not rewrite herself into history as a cast member of the Mary
Tyler Moore Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger