Monday, May 21, 2012

Rode the Bike Home Last Thursday (and Most Every Day Since)

By the Numbers:
Miles: 33.11
Time: 1 hour, 55 minutes
Average Speed: 18.4 miles per hour
Top Speed: 39.7 miles per hour

I am pretty okay with my decision to ride US Route 1 all the way home last Thursday. (Friday was a scheduled day off for me, so I did not officially take part in any "ride your bike to work" events, although I did ride my bike.) There were more places than I expected where there was no hard shoulder to the outside of the white line, but mostly those pesky cars left me alone. There were a few that stood their ground and refused to grant me any more space than minimally possible, and a couple who appeared to swerve into the shoulder lane after they passed me, for whatever reason I don't know, perhaps to show me they could take the shoulder too, I guess.

It was a fun and speedy ride home. The draft provided by the drivers who buzzed past me really helped to suck me along at a good speed.

General car traffic wasn't as bad as I hoped it would be for a Thursday. Maybe it's because all the accidents and related mayhem the day before, so drivers were hyper-aware of their surroundings so as to avoid getting stuck in it for a second day. Riding my bike got me home faster on Thursday than driving home in my car the day before.

Adding my weekend bike rides, I am now about 32.5 hours short for the month. It's set to rain most of the week, so it's looking like I won't take many "healthy wellness" rides at work. But we have a three-day weekend coming up, and this entire month has the most scheduled working days of the remainder of our planned time in my work building. The move is set for 14 August. All these factors lead me to conclude that even if I end this month with a greater than 35-hour deficit, I'll be able to add a smaller deficit for the next couple of months and get back on my predicted schedule, which will result in planned activities that will ship away at the deficit for the remaining 4.5 months of the year so as to end 2012 with me having ridden my bicycle for more hours than I spent commuting to and from work in the Mighty Corolla.

(As I wrote that previous sentence, I couldn't help but wonder if that sort of confusing logic is what's behind the general budget formulation and execution process our country goes through each year.)

As I got closer to home, I managed to snap this great picture of a sign that's near the local hospital. Those pedestrians there are just too fast and must be slowed down.

1 comment:

  1. You're ready to take it to the next level: bike to and from work one day a week.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger