Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tank 193 - The Bloodletting Continues

Well, the mighty Corolla passed 73,000 miles. Perhaps it is time to
replace spark plugs and clean the K&N air filter. So far in 2009, my
average fuel economy is 36.41, which is almost one mile per gallon less
than my 2008 average. That is almost a three percent decrease, and
unexpected.

So I will shortly go and procure a K&N air filter cleaning kit as well
as 4 new spark plugs. I have not done anything to these parts of the
car. I really haven't worried about any part of the engine or
drivetrain since the car was purchased new in 2005.

Maybe I ought to have the brakes looked at, although they passed
"inspection" just a few months ago.

Anyway, this last tank (the tank that caused me to think) went 394.3
miles on 10.862 gallons of gas, making for an average of 36.30 mpg.

What bugs me is that I have gotten much better numbers in the past.
This car isn't old enough to go downhill like this. If it's not the air
filter and/or spark plugs, I don't know what it may be.

I have been driving quite gently in recent weeks and still mileage is
comparatively crappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger