Friday, November 13, 2009

Tanks 213 and 214 - 11 and 12 November 2009

I had the pleasant experience of driving over 500 miles in the last
couple days. Yesterday I got to spend 10 hours in light to heavy rain
for a day trip to Raleigh, North Carolina for a court date to seek
monetary judgment against past tenants whose security deposit did not
cover all the repair costs after they moved out.

Tank 213 was still commuting and around town driving, but I refueled the
day before my trip so that I wouldn't have to get gas on the road in the
morning while wearing my suit. So the tank was "only" 387.3 miles on
10.438 gallons, making for mileage of 37.10. Pretty bad.

But tank 214 yesterday, after going 446.6 miles in the remnants of
Hurricane Ida, I refueled in Petersburg VA on my way home with 11.293
gallons, making for mileage of 39.55 miles per gallon. Pretty good.

So it all evened out.

Still, all that driving in all that rain was not as pleasant as I would
have wanted.

I passed four cars that had lost control and apparently hydroplaned and
spun off the road. Two of those cars were missing their front bumpers.

Happily, I finished my book on CD "Dearly Devoted Dexter." I liked it a
lot and have requested the first Dexter book.

My new book on CD is "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy." I'm more than
halfway through it now, and I am sorry to report that I really don't
like this sort of science fiction. It seems like the author (Doug
Adams, I think) just puts in the oddest thing he could think of at the
time and makes up silly backstory and stuff. It seems silly and not
silly in a good way. But, many people just love it, so I can at least be
aware of what it is, and can appreciate why they like it. Maybe the
total oddity of it is what's so compelling, like the legend of
Spearmanwich and his furious bumboozleplex gambit of the giant kumquat
uprising of Standard Unit 53,488.6.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you don't like the Hitchhiker's Guide. I would think Addams' humor is your cup of tea. My favorite character in the Hitchhiker's Guide is Marvin the depressed Robot.

    Hope your trip pays off and you collect from those bad tenants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug Adams also wrote a lot of the episodes for the Dr Who TV program.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger